Have you successfully completed your postgraduate studies in Canada and you are currently in search of a guide on how to stay back?
Yes, after graduation, you can qualify to temporarily work and even live permanently in Canada. I’m sure after considering the vitality of Canada, it is almost impossible to resist settling. Therefore, we have put together this post to educate you on how to obtain Canada Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in 2022 immediately after studying in Canada.
What is Canada Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP)?
Canada’s Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP) is a program that permits graduates from dignified learning institutions in Canada also referred to as Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) to gain residence as well as qualifies the graduate to obtain significant work experience in Canada.
Before proceeding to analyze the programs, it is pertinent to have these principal terms in mind;
Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)
Prospective and adult immigrants who intend to reside and gain relevant work experience in Canada are measured, tested and accredited by their English language proficiency. The test is the standard of application for Canadian citizenship. While the French language test is conducted using the Niveaux de compétence Linguistique canadiens (NCLC).
National Occupation Code (NOC)
The National Occupation Classification (NOC) provides detailed information on the kind of occupations available to postgraduates in the Canadian labor market. Here, jobs are classified in 2 ways; skill type and skill level. For those aspiring to migrate, these are the main jobs;
Skill Type 0 (zero): management jobs
Skill Level A: professional jobs requiring a university degree
Skill Level B: technical jobs and skilled trades requiring a college diploma or an apprenticeship experience
Skill Level C: intermediate jobs requiring a high school and/or Job-Specific training
Skill Level D: labor jobs that offer on the job training.
Applying for Canada Post-graduate Work Permit in 2022
A degree qualification from Canada grants you more points to be eligible to work within the Country even after migrating to another country and you decide to return later.
You can apply for a PGWP in Canada asking as long as you meet up with the eligible criteria. Applying for a Canada’s Work Permit requires you to be necessarily eligible.
Canada’s Post-graduate Work Permit Eligibility Requirements
Firstly, you must hold an eligible qualification at degree level or above.
You should also be expected to have graduated from either;
– a public post-secondary institution
– a college
– a trade or technical school
– a university
– a private post-secondary school( in Quebec[ a province of Canada In which the official language is french] ). This should also operate under the same rule as Quebec.
– Canadian private schools willing to award degrees under provincial law.
When Is The Best Time To Apply For Canada Postgraduate Work Permit?
- A confirmation from your degree institution will be sent to you, showing a proof that you have completed your study program, an official transcript from the institution which you obtained your degree certificate is required and this is considered necessary within 6 months (180 Days). It also requires that a letter be attached.
- However, if your application is passed within a specific period, it will require changing your status to a visitor. This must be done within 90 days after your permit has expired or you will be left with the option of leaving Canada.
- After graduation, and your final grades have been issued, you get to find out if you are eligible for the PGWP and this process takes nothing more than 180 days after which your study permit must have been confirmed valid to prove you eligible or not for the work.
Your institution of Graduation should also be sure to be on the Designated Learning Institute (DLI) eligibility list.
- The letter that should be attached to the transcript also describes your eligibility; that you must have maintained a full-time status as a student of the institution except for your final year of which can be part-time.
- You have to possess all the necessary documents needed for applying for PGWP.
- You have to know when to apply (within 90-180 days depending on the accomplishment of your letter).
- See to having a valid study permit after your letter must have been approved as it provides the opportunity to a full-time work experience.
- Check your eligibility to start working full-time after you have applied.
- Keep up with the contact information after you have applied in case any changes are being made.
The above Process enables accurate eligibility for the application of Canada’s work permit (PGWP).
Checking For Validity of Canada’s Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP)
The next step is to find out how long it’s authentic for. A post-graduation work permit is given depending on the duration of the study program which lasts for at least 8 months and at most for 3 years. For instance, if you completed an eleven months program, your work permit will likely be granted for up to eleven months or if you studied for two years, you are likely to be given a three-year work permit.
Application of Canada’s Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP)
Step three is to Apply.
On the application of a Canada’s Work Permit, it doesn’t need to be a manual application, if you have the required documents in an appropriate order, you can also apply online.
Online application is most times encouraged by the Canada Immigration and citizen department except you wish to extend your permit, then it has to be done manually (on paper).
The method of online application is considered better and faster because you are allowed to review your application and go through them quietly before you send it and no courier fees are attached.
A portable instruction guide on how to make an appropriate application is also provided on the website which is advisable that you read before applying (in case of online application).
To apply online, you’ll be needing a cam scanner to make electronic copies of your documents. You’ll be needing also, an authentic credit or debit card to pay for the processing fee. Oftentimes, upon application, you’ll also need to pay a biometrics fee. The biometrics fee covers the fingerprint collection costs and also your digital photo.
Regarding the Canada Immigration and citizen (CIC) website; After you have paid for the processing and biometrics fee, you will be sent a letter confirming that you need to give your biometrics and you’ll be directed on where to go. On submission of the biometrics online, the letter is also requested and even at your show up for the work permit.
Who are Ineligible PGWP Applicants?
International students are considered ineligible for the post-graduate work permit application if they have;
– previously been issued with a PGWP either in Canada or a different country
– studied English or French as a second language
– considered general interest or self sophisticated courses
– obtained equal opportunity scholarship awards in Canada.
– completed major programs through distance learning.
Meanwhile, there are few cases where international students may be eligible for a post-graduate work permit if they have concluded a distance learning program or requested a break from studies.
For more information on PGWP, visit here
Check out a list of the top ten cheapest universities in Canada
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.