South African students seeking admission into Leiden University can apply for the Leiden University Mandela Scholarships 2022/2023.
The Leiden University Mandela Scholarships is targeted at Exchange and Study Abroad students from South Africa who would like to study at Leiden University for one semester. The scholarship will be awarded for a maximum of five months and it’s currently ongoing.
Read on to learn the full details about the Leiden University Mandela Scholarships 2022/2023, eligibility, scholarship worth, requirements, how to apply, application deadline, and more.
Leiden University was founded in 1575 and is the oldest institution of higher education in the Netherlands records. It offers 50 undergraduates, 100 graduates, and 50 doctorates or Ph.D. programs through its seven faculties.
Leiden University was the first university to be established in the Netherlands. William of Orange gave Leiden Academia Lugduno Batava in 1575; it is said in recognition of the city’s courageous resistance against the siege by the Spanish invaders.
Leiden University plays a foremost role in academic research and teaching as a prestigious European research university. High-quality academic research and teaching are crucial to a healthy, safe, sustainable, prosperous, and just world.
The university is one of the leading international research universities in Europe.
The University has seven faculties and campuses are located in both Leiden and The Hague. The university’s motto is Praesidium Libertatis – Bastion of Freedom.
About the Leiden University Mandela Scholarships
The Leiden University Mandela Scholarships are provided for South African students, who want to study at Leiden University for one semester in order to extend their knowledge and contribute to the development of South Africa.
On March 12, 1999, his Excellency President Nelson Mandela of South Africa received an Honorary Doctorate from Leiden University, the Netherlands, and founded the Mandela Scholarship Fund to mark this memorable event. President Mandela stated that the award brought him great honor and great responsibility.
Leiden University Mandela Scholarships- Eligibility
Applicants must be:
- Permanent residents of South Africa.
- Enrolled at a South African University.
- Motivated to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa.
- Willing to return to South Africa after their studies.
Number of Awardees: Several
Eligible Countries: South Africa
Level of Study: Undergraduate, Masters
Fields of Study
- Governance and Global Affairs
- Social and Behavioural Sciences,
- Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding
- Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON)
- African Studies Centre
- International Institute for Asian Studies
To be taken at (country): The Netherlands
Leiden University Mandela Scholarship Worth
The scholarship includes:
- Tuition fees for a one-semester study abroad program (if applicable)
- Note: exchange students are exempted from tuition fees on the basis of the exchange agreement
- Living allowance: € 1000 per month
- Insurance sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by Leiden University’s Scholarships Team
- Duration of Scholarship: Five months (1 semester)
How to Apply
Submit an online application for admission for exchange/study abroad courses at Leiden University. After your admission to an exchange/study abroad course, ensure complete the Mandela scholarship application form.
Submit your completed scholarship application form as a scanned email attachment to: email@example.com. Make sure to attach all required documents, namely:
- Exchange/study abroad admission letter from Leiden University
- Scholarship motivation letter
- Recent transcript of records from your South African University
- Up-to-date CV
- Photocopy of your valid passport(s)
- Two original letters of recommendation (one of which should be from an academic staff member)
- Documentation showing the status of any other grants you have applied for
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself in the Netherlands (the Mandela scholarship does not cover all expenses). This can take the form of:
- a student grant letter showing the exact amount and duration of your grant, or
- a recent bank statement in your name, or
- a notary statement declaring that your parents have sufficient financial means to support you.
Click on the link below to apply.
Leiden University Mandela Scholarships- Application Deadlines
1st October 2022 for programs starting in February 2023
1st April 2023 for programs starting in September 2023
- International Scholarship Program at University of Gävle in Italy 2023
- Ashinaga Scholarships for Orphans from sub-Saharan Africa 2023
- The Importance of Choosing Trusted Resources for Writing a Synthesis Essay for Scholarship Applying
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.