The fully-funded Japanese government scholarship MEXT is currently ongoing. Hence, we recommend all international students who intend to study in Japan under a scholarship hurry and apply for this opportunity. Thus, we advise you to take your time to carefully go through this page to know all about the MEXT scholarship 2023 including its benefits and steps by the steps application process.
However, undergraduates, masters, Ph.D., and training studies programs can apply for this scholarship opportunity. While the MEXT scholarship will cater for students’ accommodations, and travel expenses to Japan, including living expenses and tuition fees.
Every year, thousands of international students migrate to Japan to undertake STEM programs in the country. This may result because of the standard of education in Japan plus their well-structured curriculum that makes learning easy. Even their technological advancement is a lot to write home about. So winning the MEXT scholarship program will be an edge for international students who want to study in Japan.
Interestingly, to win this scholarship, you do not need to know the Japanese language. Neither must you have an IELTS/TOEFL certificate. While primarily we refer to the scholarship as the MEXT embassy-recommended scholarship. So, students will apply through the Japanese embassy in their country. Check for the links below on this page.
Meanwhile, we also answered numerous questions relating to the MEXT scholarship program on this page. Including who the real MEXT scholar sponsors are. And available schools of options for students. So read on.
About The Host Of The MEXT Scholarship
The MEXT scholarship is hosted by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT). So, it is a government-hosted scholarship at the University of Tokyo’s School of Science. Meaning that to apply for the MEXT scholarship you must apply for a program in the School of Science at the University of Tokyo.
Furthermore, the University of Tokyo’s School of Science conducts studies and education across several scientific fields. Just to understand the mechanisms of nature and uncover the unchangeable laws that govern them. Meanwhile, in most cases, intellectual interest from researchers motivates and advances scientific research and not by the desire to seek the immediate application of findings.
So, the MEXT scholarship seeks prudent students who want to enroll in STEM programs at the University of Tokyo. With this in mind, the Charter of the School of Science has established the “innovation and handing down of knowledge” as the School’s main mission.
Nonetheless, the University Of Tokyo School of Science consists of the Graduate School of Science (GSS) and the Faculty of Science. While the GSS consists of five departments and twelve affiliated centers and research institutions. Courses in the GSS deal with a wide range of specialized fields in science. Departmental faculty members as well as faculty from other departments and research institutes of the University of Tokyo or other institutions teach programs therein. Illustrating the world-class research and superb graduate education being conducted in each department, GSS faculty and graduates have received numerous international prizes and awards. Among them include Nobel Prizes and a Fields Medal, the most prestigious award in mathematics.
Benefits of The MEXT Scholarship
As earlier mentioned, the MEXT Japanese government scholarship is a fully funded scholarship program. Therefore, the scholarship award includes;
The scholarship award will offer students a monthly allowance, in form of a stipend. The amount for the 2023 monthly stipend rate has not been determined.
However, for the 2022 monthly stipend rate, students enrolled in the Master’s program collected 144,000 yen/month. While students enrolled in a Doctoral program receive 145,000 yen/month
Additionally, students undertaking study or research in some designated regions of the country receive an extra monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen.
#2. Education Fees:
The MEXT scholarship award also covers the fees of all the education fees of winners apart from the monthly stipends they receive. The education fees include; Fees for the Entrance Examination and Tuition Fees at Universities.
#3. Traveling Expenses:
The MEXT scholarship awards also provide a to and from an air flight ticket to scholars. This will make every academic cost less for students. See the breakdown of the transportation cost below;
Transportation to Japan:
The recipients will receive an economy class Ir ticket from the international airport closest to their place of residence to one of the international airports of Tokyo (Narita (NRT) or Haneda (HND)). However, know that recipients will take responsibility for the cost of transportation from the recipient’s residence to the nearest international airport also airport tax and surcharges plus special local taxes incurred by traveling. Furthermore, they will also take responsibility for the local travel expenses within Japan (including any costs if transferring by air); travel insurance premiums; baggage, and unaccompanied baggage.
MEXT will cover your Round Airfare Travel Expenses from your Country to Japan. The Airline ticket will be an Economy-class ticket for the flight.
Transportation from Japan:
Upon completion of the student’s scholarship program, students will receive a return ticket for an economy class. Meanwhile, travel expenses will not be included in the travel allowance if a recipient decides to remain in Japan. For instance, continuing the education at a higher level or entering employment in Japan after the period of scholarship ends and temporarily leaving Japan.
Residence halls are provided for international students by the Universities
As earlier stated, the host of the MEXT scholarship program is the Japanese government.
Students from every country of the world can apply for this scholarship program. The scholarship body gives preferences during selection too. some specific countries’ applicants. Meanwhile, for this year’s application process, they have not disclosed the respective countries that will receive the preferential selection process. The MEXT selection committee will often announce the countries on the list at the end of the application process.
However, in the previous selection, only those who hold a nationality seen on MEXT’s list of Priority Nationalities were eligible for nomination. To see the list of priority nationalities, please click here.
Furthermore, applicants must have the nationality of a country with diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. While applicants from Japan cannot apply. However, Japanese nationals that reside outside of Japan at the time of application, hold dual nationality with another country, and plan to renounce their Japanese nationality before arrival (equivalent to the time when they enroll as a student at a Japanese university), may apply.
Students intending to study any course at the University of Tokyo School of Science can apply for this scholarship program. Programs offered in the school include STEM courses. This means Science, Technology, Engineering, and Medical programs. While some social science programs are also included.
Level Of Study
Students can apply for their Undergraduate programs, Graduate programs, Postgraduate programs, and Ph.D. through this scholarship.
Number Of Awardees
The scholarship selection body does not usually disclose the number of winners for the scholarship award. However, in the previous year (2022 entrance), each Graduate School nominated at most one applicant and the University of Tokyo nominated at most three applicants to MEXT.
If you must apply for the MEXT scholarship program, then you must ensure to meet the criteria below;
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: See eligible nationalities to obtain more information.
- For Undergraduate Students: You must be at least 17 and under 25 years of age and have completed 12 years of school education or have completed courses in a school comparable to a high school (includes prospective graduates)
- For Masters / Ph.D. Students: You must be under 35 years of age and a college graduate (including prospective graduates). Or you must have completed 16 years / 18 years of education.
- For Teacher training students: You must be under 35 years of age and a graduate of a college or teacher training college. You must have at least five years of active experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary, or teacher training college in your country.
- For Japanese Study Students: Applicants must be from 18 to 30 years old. Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students in faculties or schools that major in Japanese language or Japanese culture in a university outside Japan at the time when they come to Japan and must be enrolled in the home institution at the time when they return to their home countries.
Document Required To Apply for The MEXT Scholarship Program
Below are the required documents needed to apply for the MEXT scholarship program.
(1) Scholarship Application form
(2) The highest degree verified with official stamps.
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree
Note: If the degree is not in English, a notarized copy of a translation in English is required.
(3) The highest degree Transcript is verified with official stamps. (Including Grading system)
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree Transcripts
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree Transcripts
Note: If the diploma is not in English, a notarized copy of a translation in English or is
(4) Two recommendation letters: The letters of recommendation must be written by the applicant’s teachers/advisors/employers (who are able to evaluate your academic performance and research potential) in English. (for research students)
(5) Passport Scan (if available at the time of application)
(6) Curriculum Vitae (CV) (for research students)
(8) Study plan / Statement of purpose. The study plan is written in English. Basic content shall include motivation of application, education/ research Background, and prospective study at APU. (for research students)
(9) English Language Proficiency Document: Those students whose language institute was in English can Submit English Proficiency Certificate from their Home University & they are exempted from Language Test.
(10) Academic thesis or relevant publications (for research students)
(11) Other reference documents (if applicable)
How To Apply For The MEXT Japanese Scholarship Program
Application for the MEXT Japan government scholarship is usually a two types process application. Applicants will have to apply both online and offline. The online process will include filling out the online form and uploading the necessary documents. While the offline application will include mailing your documents photocopy via courier service to the scholarship body. Meanwhile, we recommend you follow the following application instructions to apply for MEXT Scholarship:
- Find the Japanese Embassy or Consulate of your country from here.
- Visit the website of the Japanese Embassy of your country. Under the Education / Scholarship tab, you will find the MEXT scholarship.
- Download the MEXT scholarship application form and fill it out.
- Submit the required documents (list given below) to the Japanese Embassy of your country.
- A written test will be conducted by the Japanese Embassy. Find Sample Written Test with Answers Here.
- After that interviews of the candidates will be conducted.
- The successful candidates will be informed through email or the embassy website.
After nomination by the Graduate School of Science, nominees for the MEXT selection will be decided in a selection process for the entire University of Tokyo. After the University of Tokyo nominates its candidates, the grantees will be decided upon screening at MEXT.
The nominees selected by the Graduate School of Science will be notified by e-mail in mid-February, 2023. The unsuccessful candidates are also notified by e-mail.
The nominees selected at the University of Tokyo selection stage will be further notified by e-mail in April 2023. The candidates found unsuccessful at this stage are also notified by e-mail.
On receipt of the official announcement of the decision by MEXT, the grantees will be notified by postal mail in June 2023(tentative). The unsuccessful nominees are also notified by postal mail.
Period of Scholarships
(1) For a recipient who will enroll in a Master’s Program or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2023.
- Master’s Program = October 2023 – September 2025 (2years)
- Doctoral Program = October 2023 – September 2026 (3years)
(2) Extension of the Scholarship Period
If a recipient in the Master’s Program desires to proceed to the Doctoral Program, the period of the scholarship may be extended upon rigorous examination by MEXT, provided that the student has achieved outstanding academic performance that meets certain criteria. Please note that not all applicants will automatically be given an extension for the scholarship and that you should be aware of further reservations listed below;
- For the extension of the scholarship period to be approved, the recipient’s application for extension must be accepted as well as the recipient passing the entrance examination to the graduate school of their choice and accepting their enrollment as a regular (degree-seeking) student.
- The scholarship will be terminated if a recipient proceeds to another academic program without receiving permission for an extension of the scholarship (Note: students can progress by becoming self-supported international students).
- Entering a graduate school of another university is not allowed when moving up to the Doctoral Program from a Master’s program. (However, entering a graduate school of another university as a self-supporting student is permitted.)
The MEXT scholarship for the 2023 session starts from October 1 to 17:00 on October 28, 2022, Japan Standard Time. This applies to both the electronic application and proof of shipment of the original documents that must be submitted within the application period.
The Japanese government scholarship (MEXT) is a life-changing opportunity and we recommend brilliant students to apply. If you carefully go through this page, you’d learn the do and don’t of the application process and ensure you make it right. So if you skipped some parts we recommend you look through them again. Meanwhile, cheers as you apply.
Frequently Asked Questions About MEXT Scholarship at the University of Tokyo
Yes, the MEXT scholarship for 2023 is currently ongoing starting from October 1 and the deadline is on the 28th of October 2022.
Approximately 150 students receive scholarships annually
MEXT scholarship tests are quite challenging. They are also long, and you need to be able to focus for a few hours in a row, especially for the undergraduate MEXT scholarship. All tests have multiple-choice questions, except for the math tests and some parts from the Japanese tests.
Your first paragraph should cover the research question you intend to answer and how – an expansion of your detailed research theme. The second paragraph should outline the possible academic and practical benefits of your research.
Choose your field of study.
Prepare for the MEXT scholarship exams.
Put together your application documents.
The importance of the research plan and justification answers.
Keep in touch with the embassy where you apply.
Keep a positive attitude
We Also Recommend
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.