Have you heard these words over the TV ”To Maintain global peace, security and promoting international development”?. I guess you have. Read on to know about the United Nations Internship Program 2022: Salaries, Application Process.
To Maintain global peace, security and promoting international development is the motto of the United Nations. A global organization that was established to foster world peace and security.
Upon the end of the Second World War in 1945, a gruesome war that led to the destruction of lives and property, emerged this international body. Having representatives from 51 countries signing the United Nations Charter on the 26 days of June 1945.
Saddled with the sole purpose of fostering international peace and security, the UN has put in careful and meticulous diplomatic approaches in its deliberations and public policy. This is so because its responsibilities call for prevention of conflict, resolution of the conflict between parties either through peacekeeping or creating conditions for the sustenance of peace and unity.
United Nations Internship Program 2022
Today the organization is currently made up of 193 Member States and having its headquarter in New York City. The United Nations is made up of so many affiliate agencies, with all of them put together, they are referred to as United Nations Common System Organizations.
The International organization is described as both concise and complex in nature. It is hilarious right? Remember I did mention the important nature of the obligations of the United Nations, it is not what anyone would want to joke with thus not risking a world war 3.
I would love to highlight for your perusal the various themes that are being addressed by the United Nation. They include:
- Human Right and Humanitarian Aid
- Global Security
- Human Development
- Sustainable Development
- International Cooperation and Integration
- Finance Sector Development
- Children Development
- International Law
These are the very important themes that the UN deliberates on, in order to fulfill their obligations and stand true to their motto: To Maintain Global Peace, Security, and Promoting International Development.
United Nations Internship
The age long-phrase, “Knowledge is Power” can not be disputed because it continues to prove itself true in the daily innovations we develop and primarily with the carefully thought out decisions we make in order to achieve desired positive results.
In like manner, the International Organization finds it resourceful to engage in meaningful research activities that would help enhance or better inform the solutions of associated problems while adding more value to their wealth of knowledge.
There are specific areas of interest accepted by the UN Internship Program. I am indulged to bring them to your awareness. They include:
Engineering and Applied Human Sciences
- Public and Business Management
- Finance and Accounting
- Computing and ICT
- Any related area
- International Affairs
- Human Sciences
- International Relations
- Any related area.
Health and Nature/Biology
- Health (Medicine, Physiotherapy, Nutrition, etc)
- Environment Studies
- Any related area.
From the above, you are opened to a variety of opportunities that you can tap into and place your footprint on.
Activities Performed by a UN Intern
Like the soldiers are kept in the know of the mode of engagement, it is also important for a prospective UN Intern to be aware of the basic activities he or she would likely be plunged into upon acceptance.
They are categorized into the following:
- Research Activities
- Administrative Support Activities.
Like earlier stated, research should circumnavigate around the needs of the agency. In that way, one can classify the research as resourceful and thus a good return on investment. There are specifics that a good intern’s research should cover or entail.
They include the following:
- Cataloging Information
- Analysis of Statistical data
- Research topics relevant to the development of publications
- Writing and revising documents
- Preparing tables, charts, and figures, using computer software
- Preparing and applying questionnaires
- Discussing important articles.
I guess with the emphasis on research you would think of the United Nation as a sea of some sort, filled with knowledge and located somewhere in Mars. It’s okay to think of it like that, just laugh out your awed state so we continue.
UN Interns also get to experience working in an administrative setting. They get to utilize their prowess as they undertake administrative support activities. The required tasks vary based on the specific focus of the department or agency involved.
I will now highlight some of the most common tasks under the administrative support category. They include:
- Assisting in solving organizational problems
- Generating data and institutional documents
- Taking part in meetings and training with other agency members
- Organizing events, conferences, or forums
- Providing other types of support, according to your professional specialties
- Meeting with the agency’s clients
- Working on the organization’s internal and external communication (preparing audio-visual materials, managing social networks, generating institutional repositories, or preparing internal documents)
- Preparing and giving presentations
I believe you find these engaging activities to be fun and adventurous. You will get to know the requirements for eligibility to help you enable you to make a successful application.
Requirements for UN Internships
There are various requirements you would have to meet up with while making your applications. It is important to note that education requirements vary according to each UN internship program. The others include:
- Being enrolled in an undergraduate program (Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Being enrolled in an advanced degree program (Masters, Ph.D., or equivalent).
- Must have graduated in an undergraduate or graduate program (in the last 1-3 years)
- Be in the last year of a Bachelor’s Course.
Salary for UN Internships
Salaries are made available by some of the UN agencies approximately 19 of them. While others do not offer or provide salaries. It is important to state that UNICEF, may provide both paid and unpaid opportunities.
Most UN organizations remunerate in US dollars or euros. This may vary based on the location of the internship.
Application Process for UN Internship
Basically, there are three types of UN System Internship. They include:
- Application through rosters
- Applying for specific vacancies
- Emailing applications.
For more information, kindly visit this link.
For other scholarship opportunities, click on the link below