University Of Northern British Columbia popularly known as UNBC, instituted in the year 1990, is one of the most successful and low cost of living universities in Canada. It is popularly known for its prowess in research, cultural, scientific, economic and environmental studies.
They offer undergraduates and postgraduates as well as diploma certificate and doctoral programs. Choosing to study at the University of Northern British Columbia is like making an investment in your future. UNBC makes available various awards and financial aids to subsidize the cost of living. The award and financial unit offer exceptional information as well as counsels to government financial assistance, available scholarships, and bursaries from the university.
The University Of Northern British Columbia believes in showing kindness to everyone with the consciousness of behavior on ourselves and towards others at work.
University Of Northern British Columbia Courses
As earlier stated, the university admits undergraduates, graduates as well as doctoral and diploma students. In UNBC, 3,570 students are estimated; 2,829 undergraduates and 63 doctoral students. Academic courses for undergraduates include Bachelor of Applied sciences, Arts, Commerce, Education, Health Sciences, Nursing, Planning, Science, Social work; Northern Medical Program (NMP) and Independent Minors.
The Masters (Graduate) degrees include; Business Administration, Development Economics, Disability Management, Education, English, Gender Studies, Health Sciences, History, Integrated Wood Design, Interdisciplinary Studies, International Studies, Nursing, Political science, Psychology, Social Work, Natural resources and Environmental Studies.
Doctorate Degrees: Doctor of Philosophy in Health Sciences, Psychology, Natural Resources and Environmental Studies.
Diploma programs: Aboriginal/ Indigenous Health Sciences, First Nations Languages, Curriculum and Instructional Studies and Montessori Education.
For more information; the School Website
The Board of Governors authorized the following increments in tuition and fees for undergraduates to be effected on the 1st of April;
Freshmen Undergraduate Tuition per credit hour: $180.81
Freshmen International Undergraduates per credit hour: $632.84.
University Of Northern British Columbia Undergraduates Fee Lists 2022
For 3 credit hours (Full-Time studies),
Student ID Card Fee $2.08
Intramural Recreation and Fitness Fee $59.30
Building Fee $40.71
PGPIRG Fee $2.04
Student Services Fee (max $78.00) $15.60
Intervarsity and Junior Varsity Fee $54.10
NUGSS Student Society Fee $44.02
CFUR Student Radio Fee $11.63
WUSC Refugee Fee $5.00
Over the Edge Newspaper Fee $11.63.
Altogether, a Sum of $1,404.07.
And for Engineers, the Membership Fee is $50.00
All the listed fees are for the 2022/2023 academic session, mandatory and susceptible to change by the Board of Governors.
UNBC Undergraduates Fee Lists 2022
For a complete breakdown of tuition and other fees, check below;
Graduate Students Fee Lists
While other Masters disciplines have varying tuition fees;
https://www.unbc.ca/calendar/graduate/ for Graduate fee descriptions
https://www.unbc.ca/sites/default/files/sections/finance/accounts-receivable/gradfeeswinter2020_1.pdf for Graduate Fee list.
University Of Northern British Columbia Basic Graduate and Ph.D. Tuition 2022;
$1,681.53 for Full-time students
$888.81 for Part-time students.
Other fees for Graduate include;
Student ID Card $2.08
Intramural Recreation and Fitness Fee $59.30
PGPIRG Fee $4.09
Student Services Fee $41.62
NBCGSS Student Society Fee $61.36
GSS Health and Dental Fee $369.29
Service Fee – International Students Only $220.00
BCFS Fee $9.34
A Sum of $2,162.92 as a basis for Graduate courses.
University Of Northern British Columbia Cost of Living
The University is located in one of the most livable cities in Canada which might lead to higher living costs than what you are used to. If you compare UBC with other universities, adding up all costs and income sources, we think you’ll find that UBC’s competitive tuition and several funding initiatives allow you to get extraordinary value for your investment.
However, you should budget to spend between CAD1,000 – CAD3,000 monthly and this will depend on factors like the kind of accommodation you want and if you will be driving your car in British Columbia or not. I found this Cost of Living Calculator on the official school website. You should check it out too.
Sources of Funds for Education
There are several sources of funds but 4 are mentioned here;
1. You: These funds are a collaboration of your previous savings, part-time jobs, summer jobs and inherited or accumulated assets.
2. Family: Students who just recently got out of school are supported by their parents.
3. Government: There are financial aids available from federal and provincial governors in forms of loan and grants. These loans are interest-free loans offered to qualified students. British Columbia applies to StudentAid BC under your residence to provide Canada Student Loans (CSL) and applications are reviewed and given to befitting students.
Range of offers for students:
i. A Canada Student Loan and/or
ii. A BC Student Loan and/or
iii. Canada/ BC Grants.
It is worthy of note that students receive loans as well as grants together. The government loans are in addition to other sources of funding for the student and are granted on the financial necessity demonstrated by the student.
StudentAid BC Application Procedures
- Update your application form for the loan at www.studentaidbc.ca with a minimum of six (6) weeks before classes resume. By mid-June, Sep-Aug academic year forms are online.
- The application for the loan can be done before being accepted or registered at UNBC.
- Registered courses for the student must be a 60%full course load which is an equivalent to a minimum of nine (9) credit hours.
- Immediately, an email will be sent by StudentAid BC describing the (loan and/or grant) type, stipulated amount of funds.
- Before receiving any funds, a signed Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) must be submitted to StudentAid Bc. This MSFAA certifies for the duration of the loan.
- It is advisable to register 3 weeks prior to the resumption of an academic year, submitting your personal bank account details alongside as to enable the direct deposit of funds. This is done once your enrolment is confirmed by UNBC. Also inform StudentAid BC of any changes in address.
- Unlike the Full-time students, an eligible applicant for the Part-time Canada Student Loans and Canada Study Grants can enroll in less than 60% of a full course load (1-2 courses) including tuition/fees/books.
- These application forms are available at the StudentAid BC website or from the Office of the Registrar.
- Immediately after filling the forms, submit them to the UNBC Awards & Financial Aid Unit for reviews and processing.
Student, zero dependents
Canada Loan or Grants: $7,140
BC Loan or Grant: $3, 740
• Students, having dependents
Canada Loan or Grants: $7,140.
BC Loan or Grant: $10,200
For more information on the loan application form and eligibility criteria etc., visit www.studentaidbc.ca or dial 1-800-561-1818.
4. University: UNBC offers a few scholarships, awards, and bursaries annually. Fresh and continuing Undergraduates and Graduates are eligible to access scholarships and bursaries. Exceptional students are liable to receive awards for academic prowess, athletic power, community development service, and other extra activities in need of finances. Note, if you want to qualify for the Early Entrance Awards, complete your applications by December 15th.
UNBC Awards and its Application Deadlines;
• President’s Silver Anniversary & Leadership Awards ends December 15th. An eligible application to the President’s Silver Anniversary & Leadership Award includes submitting an online “UNBC Leadership Award” application as well as adding extra supporting documents.
• Small Fall Competition – starts September 15th and ends October 14th (eligible registration must be done during the September semester)
• Graduate Awards (Master’s & Ph.D.) – October 15th to March 1st
• Undergraduate Entrance Awards – October 15th to March 1st
• In-Course Undergraduate Awards (2nd to 4th year) – October 15th to March 1st
• General Awards (open to undergraduates and graduates) – October 15th to March 1st
• For other financial resources, visit https://www.unbc.ca/financial-aid/resources
And for online applications for scholarships, bursary and Award guide: visit www.unbc.ca/financial-aid. Note that an online award application must be submitted with a novel application annually because they are not taken forward for each year.
For financial aid;
Inquiries for students;
Old Students; Email: email@example.com
Inquiries regarding payroll
UNBC Official Website
For further details about the school please visit the Official School Website
If you are interested in Other scholarships in Canada please read this.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.
1 thought on “University of Northern British Columbia Tuition 2022: Scholarships and Cost of Living”
Comments are closed.