Let’s talk about the world’s most highlighted business school around the world, Columbia Business School. Columbia business school is a prestigious business school and the best for students aiming to pursue a career in business. Columbia business school offers its applicants courses such as Accounting, Economics, Marketing, Leadership, Administration courses, and a lot more.
In this article, we discussed study experience, graduate school program, application requirements, procedure, acceptance rate, and many more.
Columbia business school gives students one of the most diverse study environments in the world. This makes it one of the most sought-after schools by students of different origins around the world.
You may like to also read about MIT Business School [Review]
About Columbia Business School
Columbia Business school is in New York City as one of the global hubs for business and entrepreneurial study. It creates an atmosphere for students and knowledge seekers to interact with influential industry leaders. Also, the members of the school faculty are composed of world-class thought leaders that see to the professional advancement of the school. Therefore, the core curriculum at Columbia influences various business practices in different sectors.
Columbia Business School offers cross-cultural study experience in Finance, Business Analytics, Financial economics, Management sciences, Marketing, and several management courses. The school was built in 1916, making it one of the most prestigious ivy league schools in the world. It is also one of the world’s oldest, therefore it provides research and taught programs to knowledge seekers.
The Columbia business schools offer a professional undergraduate degree program, as well as MBA, EMBA, MS, and PhD programs to students of high competitive prowess.
This business school develops world-class industrious leaders equipped with skills, insight, and confidence to lead in a business world. They provide the best atmosphere for theoretical and practical knowledge acquisition.
Also, read about these Free MBA courses
Why you should study Business at Columbia
Note that studying at Columbia depends on your choice, but consider the following;
Columbia Business school has one of the most diverse campuses in the United States. It also believes that diversity breeds community, which leads to success as well as access to cross-continental opportunities. The members of the faculty embrace culturally diverse teams within the campus. And this initiative creates an atmosphere that is devoid of racial bias but equipped with worthy intellectuals.
The commitment to diversity gives students the opportunity to envision an innovative society that fosters inclusive learning and proposes bold respectful debating ideas among students.
First, what is the impact without access to an environment that provides access to problems and solutions together with innovative opportunities to implement? Around the globe, Columbia business schools make a measurable impact on business and their communal society. They help students in developing innovative business ideas that are of great impact on the people they serve.
Of course, business schools should provide a space for basic entrepreneurial dialogues, which is the perfect case in Columbia. It has an environment that promotes, academic pursuit, business, and a series of extracurricular as a safe space.
Finally, community. This should be one of the essential reasons you should study at Columbia Business School. A common complaint among students of color in international schools is limited access to students and faculty members who look like them. Columbia business school gives students access to a series of communities that facilitate the simple transition.
Trending now; The best Business School in the US.
Degrees offered in Columbia Business school
Columbia Business school is of world-class ranking and they currently award degrees in Bachelor, Masters of Business, Masters of Business Administration, Doctoral Degree as well as EMBA (Executive Masters of Business administration)
1. Bachelor’s Degree program in Columbia Business school
Columbia Business school offers an extensive concentration undergraduate degree course to students who seek a bachelor’s degree in Business. The undergraduate degree program at the Mendelson Center for Undergraduate Business was built on a partnership initiative between the college and the Business school. The initiative stood out as a generous gift by the Mendelson family.
The undergraduate degree program gives students open access to courses as well as workshops that set them on their desired career trajectory.
The concentration courses set the students up for global participation in business. It combines financial and managerial coursework for its course in Business Management as well as other selective relative courses in economics, psychology, and sociology.
Read this next: Cornell Business School [Review]
The undergraduate application process at Columbia Business School
The applicants of the Columbia Business school program compete with the following eligibility criteria;
- The student must be a Columbia College student or a general studies student
- Offer all college special concentration courses in Business Management for a letter grade.
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.4 or higher
- Must have received a B+ or better in their academic record.
- The applicant must offer two prerequisite program courses, areas required are statistics, economics, and psychology.
There are a few stipulated exceptions to these criteria, and they form part of the school policy. These exceptions include:
- During spring, the mandatory pass or fail policy for all courses taken across Columbia University will be counted towards the special concentration prerequisite courses. For more details on this click here.
- Students of Columbia College as well as general study students can be considered admitted with a Pass/D/Fail in just one class in a semester without restriction. Contact the admission body for more details on this.
The following prerequisite courses confirm your eligibility to Columbia business school for an undergraduate degree program:
Students must pass one of the following Statistical courses;
- STAT UN1001 – Introduction to Statistical Reasoning
- Introduction to Statistics
- Calculus-Based Introduction to Statistics
Students must also pass one of the following Phycology courses;
- PSYC UN1001 The Science of Psychology
- PSYC UN1010 Mind, Brain, and Behavior
- SOCI UN1000 The Social World
Students must also pass one of the following core Business School Courses;
- BUSI UN3013 Financial Accounting
- ECON GU4280 Corporate Finance
- Business Marketing Management
- Business Strategy Formulation
- Leadership in Organizations
Students considering undergraduate degree program in the business school must also complete any two of the following elective courses;
- Venturing to Change the World
- Making History Through Venturing
- Global Economy
- Financial Economics
- The Economics of Money and Banking
- Game Theory
- The Economics of Gender
- Economic History of the United States
- Globalization and International Politics
- Thinking and Decision Making
- Social Psychology
- Introduction to Social Cognition
- Introduction to Cultural Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Organizational Psychology
- Economy and Society
- Social Theory
- Sociology of Work and Gender
- Mistake, Misconduct, Disaster
- Culture, Markets, and Consumption
- The Organization of Diversity
- Organizing Innovation
- Sociology of Labor Markets
- Seminar in Biotechnology Development and Regulation
- History of Capitalism
- Discrete Time Models in Finance
- Economic and Financial Methods for Sustainable Development
- Community Building and Economic Development
Click HERE to apply to Columbia Business school as an undergraduate.
2. Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in Columbia Business School
It offers a graduate honors degree program that will prepare dynamic leaders in today’s changing business world.
The business school gives graduate students an extensive opportunity to engage in world business development to gain valuable practical experience in the business. It also gives students an extensive academic curriculum that builds the foundation for success in their desired field. While also providing in-depth insight into the constantly changing business world in various industries.
The MBA degree program at Columbia Business School is known for its unmatched access to business as well as a diverse community of critical thinkers. This program produces yearly graduates who are informed, adaptive, and ready to solve real-world business challenges in innovative ways.
Read this next; Columbia School of Social Work Acceptance Rate.
Columbia business school is transforming the business torrent worldwide through its 150 full-time faculty members who are passionately transforming business strategies across the globe. Also, It is setting a standard for world-class access to the business through its courses and practical access to business strategies.
MBA students at Columbia Business School are given unmatched access to top leaders across specific industries across the globe. This is also inspired by guest lecturers, visiting researchers, speakers, and several executives in the residence program. Records show that top-tier leaders visit Columbia Business School more than any other business school, with over 48,000+ strong global alumni networks.
The Application Requirement for an MBA Degree
- GMAT, GRE, or Executive Assessment
- Application Fee
With all these documents available, you can put together a steady application that is ready for submission. But note all of the errors that may deter your admission and avoid them as needed.
During your application process, you will also submit a scanned copy of all your academic transcripts, and undergraduate and graduate degree transcripts. This document must be credible. This is because you will submit an encrypted copy (an official copy) for each of the colleges and universities mentioned in your application.
2. Grade Point Average (GPA)
It is very important to note that your grade point average is accurate in your transcript and uniform across all documents.
Note: During your application procedure and after the submission of your application. Your offer of admission is not binding until all your academic records have been varied by the admission committee.
GMAT, GRE, or Executive Assessment
All applicants during their application procedure must submit a verifiable copy of their GMAT or GRE score. The Columbia business schools consider scores and records of not over 5 years. This score must be added to the application form during the application process and subsequent score submissions after the submission of your application will not be considered.
Most of us call this a Curriculum Vitae. This is one of the most essential documents in your application toolkit. The content of this document identifies you as a professional. For your application, Columbia business school advises that your CV should be one-page in length, but two pages are equally acceptable.
This document must be accurately written and error-free. It must also have your most recent career achievements and goals.
All graduate school application requires you to write a letter of motivation, a personal statement or a statement of interest. And the MBA program at Columbia Business school is no different. During the application process, applicants will be required to complete 1 short answer essay and 3 long answer essays.
- Short Essay: The short answer essay is usually as 50 character essay maximum, and in the past, they ask questions such as, What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal?, crafting an accurate answer will be fairly easy if you have a clear goal which is what the Columbia Business School is interested in. In addition, in the first long essay segment, students are required to discuss their goals in 3-5 years to come and all of these must be properly captured in a 500 words essay.
- Second Essay: Second, the next 2 long essays require student applicants to write about their leadership experience focusing on the following factors; Creating an Inclusive Environment, Mitigating Bias, Communicating Across Identities, Addressing Systemic Inequity, and Managing Difficult Conversations. You are also required to discuss a scenario that requires you to manage conflict and crisis. This scenario must be captured in 250 words. And the subsequent part of the essay also involves writing 250 words. It requires you to write about your favorite book, movie, or song.
- Third Essay: Lastly, the third essay is an optional essay, and it requires you to convince the admission committee why you should be considered for a spot in the MBA program at Columbia Business school. In this essay, you should clarify the difficulties that the admissions committee might face while reviewing your supporting documents.
Note that students coming back for a deferment program will write two additional essays, which should answer the following questions;
- Why are you considering an MBA at Columbia Business School? (300 words maximum)
- Who is a leader you admire, and why? (300 words maximum)
This is a very essential part of your application as it will provide credibility to all the information provided in your essay and supporting documents. As a new applicant, you are to submit just one letter of recommendation. Likewise, all other revisiting applicants, but are to submit a letter of recommendation from a new referee other than their first referee.
The admission committee at Columbia Business School recommends that your letter of recommendation should be written by someone with managerial capacity over you.
Columbia Business school asks that your referee consider the following while preparing to write your letter of recommendation;
- The candidate’s performance, potential, background, and personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in his/her similar roles or field? This should be provided with specific examples.
- Your referee should describe the most important feedback you have ever given and also provide details about the event.
Columbia Business School Application Fee
During your application, you are required to pay a non-refundable amount of 250 US dollars. Applicants are to pay this application fee through a credit card within the online application system. The application committee also gives an applicant who cannot pay with a credit card should contact the admission office at email@example.com for directions on other payment methods.
Application Fee waiver for Columbia Business School Applicants
Columbia Business School gives students who are applying for a full-time MBA program an opportunity to apply for a fee waiver. But to be qualified for a fee waiver, you need to meet all the eligibility criteria.
The following are individuals who are eligible to apply for an application fee waiver at Columbia Business School:
- An active-duty US military personnel
- A displaced individual, Click HERE to read more about this
- Be a member of the Peace Corps or Teach For All network partners who are currently in service
Students who have considered the requirement and find themselves eligible for a fee waiver should create and log into the application portal when applications are open for the season.
Tuition Fee for Columbia Business School
The payment of tuition fee in Columbia Business School is usually based on the month of entry. All students are often required to submit two nonrefundable deposits in other to secure their place that the school.
1. January entry into Columbia Business School
January-entry applicants to Columbia Business School must submit their first tuition deposit of USD 2,000 within two weeks of admission. Also, the second deposit of US$1,000 must be deposited by the 10th of November, depending on your schooling year.
2. August-entry into Columbia Business School
August entry applicant for Columbia Business school must make their first deposit of US$6,000 within two weeks of admission.
For more details on tuition fee payment, Read more HERE.
The Columbia Business School is one of the best business schools in the world. It has a highly innovative academic approach that prepares its students for a successful success career in the highly developing business world. Also, a key notable factor of Columbia Business School is its openness to diversity.
In addition, most of the unique aspects of Columbia Business School are its openness to impact, global development, and the advancement of business innovation across the world.
Finally, click here to download the course MBA course Brochure for the studies. Also, you can get in touch with the MBA learning community by clicking HERE.
Frequently Asked Questions
Third-year undergraduate degree applicants are eligible to apply. Also note, that the review of the application is on a case-by-case basis.
You need a GMAT examination score before the submission of your application. Without this, the review of your application will not be done.
The lowest GPA requirement is 3.6. For more details on this, read through the MBA requirements in the article above.
Yes, Columbia Business School offers application wavier to students with disability. They also have a few scholarships for students of low-income backgrounds.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.