International students and researchers can apply for the fully-funded Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) 2023-2024.
The Korean Government is inviting online applications from international students and researchers for Korean scholarships that will enable students to study for undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. programs at any university of their choice.
The Korean government scholarship program also aims to foster friendly relations between Koreans and citizens of other countries.
Read on to know more about the KGSP 2023 scholarships, the benefits of the Korean government scholarship program, eligibility criteria, how to apply for the Korean KGSP scholarship, required documents, and the deadline.
Korean Government Scholarship Program 2023
- Level/field of study: Undergraduate, Masters, Ph.D. (Doctorate)
- Type: Fully Funded
- Country: South Korea
Benefits/Value of the Korean Government Scholarship 2023:
- The KGSP scholarship covers the airfare cost of the grantees.
- It will provide the grantees with a resettlement or relocation allowance of 200,000 KRW.
- KRW 20,000 per month will be given to cover living expenses.
- KRW 20,000 monthly for medical insurance.
- KRW 800,000 every three months as payment for the language course that every recipient has to take.
- Tuition fee coverage (of maximum KRW 5,000,000 per semester)
- Korean language proficiency award.
- KRW 240,000 (per semester) grant for supporting the research expenses
- A grant of 500,000 KRW – 800,000 KRW for printing the dissertation/thesis.
- KRW 100,000 upon completion of the degree program.
Note: the grant for research and printing the thesis will only be given to those students enrolled in a research-based program.
Eligibility Criteria of KGSP 2023:
To be eligible to apply for the KGSP Korean Scholarship; make sure you meet all the basic prerequisites required to apply for the Korean scholarship program as discussed below:
- The applicant and his/her parents should be born in a country other than Korea.
- The applicant must not have Korean citizenship.
- Applicants must be healthy both physically and mentally to ensure their healthy stay in Korea for the entirety of their degree program.
- Undergraduate students/applicants must be below 25 years of age.
- Graduate students must be below 40 years of age at the time of entrance.
- The undergraduate applicant must have successfully completed all of his/her education at the elementary, middle, and high school levels before arriving in Korea.
- The graduate student must have completed his/her master’s or bachelor’s before arriving.
- The applicant should have a CGPA of more than 80%. This CGPA or percentage will be from his/her last educational institution.
- The applicant must not have attended any Korean educational institution before applying and should not have attained a degree from there. (This means any bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. degree. High school education is not included).
- Applicants who have a 90% result and who presently or formerly held a KGSP grant can apply again. They can apply directly through the university or they can opt for the university track.
Related Article: Texas Tech Scholarships in USA 2022-2023
How to apply for the Korean KGSP Scholarships 2023?
The procedure to apply for the South Korean KGSP scholarship is easy. Start by finding a Korean University that offers this scholarship and follow the specified process of that particular university to submit an application for a KGSP scholarship and admission. Further details are as follows:
- NIIED calls the Korean Embassy or the local university to recommend potential candidates. (The students can choose through that platform or can apply through the embassy or the university and they will be c).
- Applicants will need to submit the documents required to the embassy to the university they applied to or in their home country.
- The Korean university or the embassy will then send the documents to NIIED (only the shortlisted candidates’ documents will be sent). This is done to verify that the students chosen are indeed qualified for the scholarship.
- NIIED evaluates the documents and notifies the university or embassy of the recipients.
- The applicants will know from the university or the embassy of their selection or rejection. The scholarship committee doesn’t notify the students directly.
Required Documents for Korean Scholarship (KGSP) application:
Prior to submitting an application for the KGSP scholarship; compile and make the following documents available to avoid any further delay in submitting your Korean Scholarship Application:
- Highest degree attained
- Transcripts of the highest degree
- Recommendation letters from the employers or the professors
- Personal statement or statement of purpose (mandatory for only master’s and Ph.D. degree applicants)
- A study plan needs to be submitted by MS students
- Research proposal for Ph.D. degree applicants
- Motivational letter (for applicants of the bachelor’s program)
KGSP 2023 Application Submission Process
Different Korean universities are linked with the Korean government scholarship program so a student is allowed to choose the university based on their preferences. So be sure you know the list of all those universities offering this scholarship to explore them better. Just a few of them offer the Korean Scholarship. Korean Higher Education supervises the entire scholarship process.
Below are further instructions:
- A student can only apply through a specific university or the Embassy.
- All the documents should be submitted to their country’s Embassy, or the student can also submit them to the selected university.
- Korean University or the Embassy will forward the documents to NIIED. Only the documents of those students will be forward who are shortlisted by the NIIED.
- NIIED will investigate each document and will notify the university or the Embassy about the selected recipients.
- The university or Korean Embassy will notify you whether your application has been selected or rejected. In the end, the scholarship committee will notify the student of the next procedure.
Deadline to apply for KGSP 2023 Scholarships:
The deadline to apply for the KGSP Scholarships is October 30, 2023. Since every Korean university and embassy has its own deadline, applicants are advised to contact the Korean embassy in their home countries to know about the deadline for applying for KGSP.
For other details and to access the application form, visit the official website of the Korean government scholarship here.
FAQs about the Korean Government Scholarship Program
The initial decision is made by each institution. Please verify with the Korean embassy in your country or your top-choice university if you are unclear about the precise deadline and submission requirements.
The submission of a language competence test result is not required. However, if you are a candidate from a nation with a fiercely competitive job market, you might need to demonstrate language skills.
Confirm with the university before applying to see whether a particular language competency is required for admission. Applicants having a valid TOPIK level 3 or higher will get 10% of the total points allotted in the first and second rounds of selection.
Obtain your reference letter from someone with strong academic credentials, such as your high school teacher, school principal, or department chair, if at all feasible. The date of the recommendation letter should be within one year of the application deadline.
Preferably, translate the documents into English or Korean (certified translation). Submit them in their original language and in translation, along with an authentic copy of the original document. All certifications should be checked by a consulate or apostolate before submission.
You will be excluded from the language program if you have a TOPIK level of 5 or 6. As a consequence, you will begin your degree program in March 2023, in the first semester.
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.