The UN Volunteers Program is a fantastic opportunity to join millions of people to create a lasting positive impact with your skills, time, and knowledge. Hence, it champions the environment for volunteerism to thrive. Volunteering with United Nations contributes a significant force to achieving peace and development in the world.
More so, the UNV also pushes for the ability and right of people to participate in their self-development. Therefore, joining this program as a volunteer is a fantastic choice to make.
This article highlights the necessary details of the UN Volunteers Program 2022 that will help you with your application.
Also Read: 6 Best Volunteer Opportunities in Chicago
Why should you join the UN Volunteer Program 2022?
- As a UN Volunteer, you will promote peace and development across the world while you also uphold the ideals and aspirations of the United Nations.
- The International UN Volunteers from 160 countries represent various cultures and backgrounds. Hence, there are a variety of perspectives and approaches.
- Every international UN Volunteer assignment, yours inclusive, can potentially make a lasting impact. It creates a ripple effect that goes far beyond the immediate results of your efforts.
- The UN Volunteer Program will give you a fantastic opportunity to learn about different cultures, broaden your network, study new languages and enjoy a life-changing experience.
How To Register for UN Volunteer Program 2021
Step 1: Check Your Eligibility
The first step is to check whether or not you meet the minimum requirements. When you have determined that you are eligible, then proceed to the next step.
What are the requirements to join the UN Volunteers Program 2021?
Assignments for the UN volunteer program are from more than 160 countries, which cuts across a broad range of professions. These international volunteers are engaged to support peace and development programs based on requests from UN partner agencies. However, to be selected as a volunteer, you must meet some requirements.
The following are the minimum conditions required to serve as an international UN Volunteer:
- Age of 25 years old and above (no upper age limit)
- A university degree or Higher Technical Diploma
- At least two (2) years of relevant work experience in a professional background
- Good working knowledge of at least one of the United Nation’s three (3) official languages (English, French or Spanish)
- Commitment to the principle and values of volunteerism
- Ability to work in a diverse cultural environment
- Ready to work with people and local organizations to leverage the synergies between expert solutions and local knowledge.
- Adaptability to difficult living conditions or remote locations
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Previous volunteering or working experience in a developing country is an advantage.
Also Read: 12 Oldest Universities In the USA For 2022
Step 2: Register
Once you confirm that you meet the conditions, then go ahead to register your profile in the Global Talent Pool.
Steps to Register on the UNV Talent Pool
You must complete all the steps in the registration process for your profile to qualify for assignments.
- First, submit your basic information to create an account in the Talent Pool. Then, activate your account by verifying your email address with the link in an automated message you will receive.
- After activating your account successfully, you will receive another message with a link to your profile. Click on the MY PROFILE link to input your details on skills, educational qualifications, and experience.
- Then, click on the SUBMIT MY PROFILE tab after completing all the required fields.
- Once you submit your profile, you will receive an email confirming successful registration. The email includes a registration number and other information for potential candidates.
- Before registering, you should read the Frequently Asked Questions section on the website. It provides detailed information on the registration process.
Here are some points about creating your UN Volunteer Program profile to note:
You can create your profile in the three (3) UN official languages: English, French or Spanish. However, for assignments in French or Spanish-speaking nations, profiles in French or Spanish are prioritized. But if you are fluent in English, it is recommended that you fill your profile in English.
It is most advisable to fill out the PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE section thoroughly. Describe the main tasks and responsibilities of your past work clearly. Your profile is all that speaks for you. So how well put together your inputs will determine if you are a suitable candidate for assignments.
You must access your profile at least once a year to keep it active and updated through the Volunteer Management Application Modules.
Step 3: Find A Volunteer Opportunity
After you have created your profile, you can easily find a suitable volunteer opportunity from the special calls on the official website or the pool of opportunities to apply.
You can find opportunities faster by checking the ‘country/region’ box or scrolling through the list of recently posted opportunities to find the ones that suit you.
Also Read: 15 Best Caribbean Medical Schools in 2022
Profiles in High Demand in the UN Volunteer Program
With the rise in challenges across the world affecting different sectors, it is easy for certain professions to be in more demand than others. The profiles in high demand include the following:
- Technical specialists in (IT, engineering, logistics, transport)
- Medical professionals
- Political scientists
- Public information officers
- Administration and Finance experts
- Experienced professionals in management, development, peacekeeping, and humanitarian affairs.
How long is the UN Volunteers Program 2022?
International UN Volunteer assignments run for six (6) months to one (1) year, with a possible extension to two years. However, a short-term program can last for three (3) months or less. For such brief assignments, the partners of the United Nations request them sometimes.
Are UN Volunteers paid allowances?
As a UN Volunteer, you will receive an allowance to help you maintain your standard of living at your duty station. However, it is not a reward or salary in exchange for your volunteer work.
Also Read: Google Africa Developers Scholarship Program
If you are looking for an opportunity to serve humanity while earning reasonably, then apply for this program to make a difference in many lives. So, we hope that this article has given you the necessary insights to succeed with your UN Volunteers Program 2022 applications.
Visit the Official Website for Further Details
FAQs on UN Volunteers Program
As a UN Volunteer you receive a Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) which covers basic needs, housing and utilities. Additionally, UNV will provide a settling-in-grant, life, health, and permanent disability insurance, return airfares and a nominal resettlement allowance.
As a newly recruited UN Volunteer, you must complete the below three mandatory UN System e-Learning courses before traveling to your duty station or before starting your assignment if not traveling. You should then upload your certificate of completion to VMAM
UNV shall have no liability for taxes, duties or other similar charges payable by the Individual contractor in respect of any amounts paid to the Individual contractor under this Contract, and the Individual contractor acknowledges that UNV will not issue any statements of earnings to the Individual contractor
We regularly publish selected volunteer opportunities. You must first create your profile in the UNV Global Talent Pool via our Unified Volunteering Platform to apply. Some assignments are not published because they are filled by candidates whose profiles are matched directly from our Global Talent Pool.
Basic requirements include a university degree or higher technician diploma (a master’s degree may be needed depending on the nature of the job), two years of relevant work experience, and good working knowledge of at least one of the 3 UNV working languages – English, French, and Spanish.
Check out other opportunities here:
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgment. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [xscholarshipc(@)gmail(dot)com] and actions will be taken immediately.